Monday, December 3, 2012

Season's Greetings!

I hope this post finds everyone doing well and continuing to persevere through their own fight with autoimmune disease. Stay strong and keep your faith.
Disease! The sound of that word sickens me of late. Disease, to me, brings thoughts of hopelessness, and negativity, and I prefer to erase them from my thoughts, as well as, my vocabulary. I personally prefer to use the word, disorder. Not so foreboding.
I am reminded of this as I reflect on my most recent RA flare. Two months ago, I became sidelined with a staph infection which I received (as stated by my family physician), by simply walking into a hospital to visit my father whom had had a heart attack. Yes, I said, by doing no more than stepping foot in a hospital. Wow! Amazing, huh? My thought exactly...
So, this, in turn, delayed my remicade infusion by another two weeks because of being placed on antibiotics. Well, I get my infusion, and lo and behold, the dosage fails. Due to my insurance plan, I have to wait another four weeks (no less than) before I can receive my next infusion with a higher dosage ( which I had visited rheumy during this struggle).
By the time I had my appointment with my rheumy, I could barely walk, I had pain extending my arms to reach, my hands were drawn, and my shoulders, as well as, my elbows were tight and stiff, I had very dismal range of motion. I felt like my body was going to explode. But, I did not give in when I so desperately wanted to. That is not me. I'm a fighter...and I will fight for control of my RA.
I am thankful for my wonderful family and friends whom have all been supportive. They were my strength and inspiration and continue to be.
Now, I return this week into the dojo with my martial arts family. All of them, from my instructors to my sparring partners, have been encouraging and inspiring. Pushing me mentally and spiritually, while I struggled physically. And, when I couldn't make it to the dojo, their correspondences uplifted my soul. Thank you, thank you, and thank you...

Namaste!   

No comments:

Post a Comment